Thursday, March 28, 2013

books | favorites+movie adaptations


So I realized that I've never talked on here about all the books I read! I just recently got in to young adult novels a little over a year ago (is that even recent? who knows) when I was introduced (via this post) to The Fault in Our Stars and John Green. Little did I know that in the next year I would read a total of over 20 books or that TFiOS would be the start of my John Green obsession. I figured that since I love reading I might as well share my favorite books with you all! And it just so happens that all my faves are begin turned into movies (+ a tv show) within the next few years, so I'll talk about that too!

1.) The Fault in Our Stars, John Green -- I love love love this book, I read it shortly after it came out and since then I may have developed an obsession with him, but you know, it's casual. This is my favorite of his books, and it is just so beautifully written and I love both of the main characters. The one thing I don't like about this book is that it has become waaaaay over publicized and it is literally everywhere. I'm not too keen on a movie for this book either just because I feel like the writing style is just so good and that's part of what makes TFiOS such a good book. Also Shailene Woodley has been cast as Hazel (one of the main characters/the narrator) and I really really really don't like that, I don't know she's just not how I pictured Hazel at all! I'm interested in seeing how the movie will turn out, but I definitely think that the book will be better (as they always are)! 

2.) The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald -- Okay so Gatsby was actually a book that I read for school, but I just loved it so much! I liked this book in a way that I have never liked any other book from school, and I actually just read the whole book in one sitting (and then had no english homework for like two weeks, ha!) I got so into it. I am super super excited for this movie, which comes out on May 10 in the United States, I literally cannot wait! The costuming + set + videography just look absolutely amazing! I love how Gatsby is a classic read but still so relevant and not at all hard to read! 

3.) The Delirium Trilogy, Lauren Oliver -- These books were recommended to me by a friend, and I am so incredibly glad that she recommended them for me to read, they are amazing! These books are set in somewhat of an alternate present where love is treated like a disease, which I thought was a super interesting premise for a book! I really fell in love with the love interest of the main character, and I literally found it impossible to put these books down (but then again, I read most books within a days time..). The ending of the last book was a complete cliffhanger that made me seriously wish that there would be more books coming out, but sadly there are only three. Delirium is being turned into a tv show (on fox I think?) and I believe that they just started filming! I don't know how I feel about the casting/plot because they changed a lot of things but we'll see! 

4.) The Insurgent Trilogy, Veronica Roth -- These books were also recommended to me by a friend and they were definitely another good recommendation! These books are set in a sort of post apocalyptic setting where everyone is divided up into five "factions" based on their personalities, I'm not going to say much more because I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that there is a relationship that literally melts my heart because I am (again) in love with the love interest of the main character. I am super excited for the third book which comes out in October this year and the movie which comes out spring 2014! Shailene Woodley plays the main character (not too pleased about that) but I think that the movie has a lot of potential to be good! 

5.) The Host, Stephanie Meyer -- Okay, I do not like vampires and I most certainly never was in to the whole Twilight saga, but I think it dumb to not read a book because of the author and I'm really glad I read this. This book is sci-fi and romance and it has the perfect mix of both. There's a love square (?) and it's just very complicated to explain, so you all should read the book! It's quite long (600+ pages) but I found that after the first 100 pages it went really quick and I finished it within two days! The movie comes out March 29 (Friday)! I am so excited to see it, I love the cast (Saiorse Ronan + Jake Abel + Max Irons + Diane Kruger, um yes!) and from all the trailers it looks like it will be amazing! 

So those are some of my favorite books currently and I wish I could tell you about every book on my bookshelf, but that would take me ages! I strongly suggest that you read one/some/all of these books! And if you've already read any of these books tell me in the comments what you thought! 

1 lovely comments:

Allison Clark said...

Oh! I just checked out Divergent from the library :D
And I see Perks of being a wallflower on the shelf too ;) I saw the movie and liked it... how's the book?

-Allison